Thursday, March 14, 2013

Hello Troy!! September 14th 2012 AM

Woke up to what looked like another Glorious day in Banff as seen from my rooms window.

I've got a pot of coffee brewing.  I have about 2 hours to kill.  Plenty of time to SS&S and to pack up the Glide as this was my last night here at the Banff Centre.  I was expecting to meet Troy for 9am.

Not long after I finished loading up the bike and checking out of my room I could hear the distinct rumble of CalgaryGlide's Harley coming up the road.  Let me just say how great that sound was!  It had been already sometime now that I had been riding solo ever since Hotrodad (Ken) and I parted ways back in Michigan State.  Although I really appreciated the time I had alone with myself and my ride, it was a great feeling to know I would soon be exploring the sites again with a ridding buddy.

Now to me this image pretty much says it all!  Hello Troy!!

That smile just radiated out from behind that Full Face.  I got the feeling that he knew what was in store for me and was itching just as much as me to show off the beauty of Banff.  Let's ride Troy!

So the day pretty much went like this -  Follow the leader and enjoy the views!  I don't think anyone could ask for a better way to end a visit to the Canadian Rockies, as you will witness from these next images.

Our 1st stop was not far away from the Banff Centre.  Nice little climb and we pulled off to snap a few shots.

Somewhere below off to the left was where I was staying.
  
I might have to warn you here...this will be a photo intense blog entry.  So skip ahead if your bored! lol

As we hoped on our rides for the next destination.  I took a picture of Troy ahead of me.  We had just been passed be two other motorcycles but not just any kind, they were both on RoadGlides!  Fully packed and heading West.  That little glint in the road ahead of Troy is the tail fin of the Shark Nose that just passed us.  Wish I could have gotten that pic quicker but I was kind of still in AWE of my surroundings - Which by the way NEVER subsided!


Next stop - Spiral Tunnels:  A feet in Railway engineering:


Follows is an excerpt from Wiki LINK
The Big Hill "temporary" line was to remain the main line for twenty-five years, until the famous Spiral Tunnels were opened on September 1, 1909.
The essential challenge was that the railway had to ascend 1,070 feet (330 m) in the space of 10 miles (16 km) from Field at 4,267 feet (1,301 m) climbing to the top of the Continental Divide at 5,340 feet (1,630 m).[2] The narrow valleys and high mountains limited the space where the railway could stretch out and limit the grade (hence the later decisions to bore extra mileage under the mountains and lower the grades)


We hoped to see a train passing through as did everyone else waiting around; none came.  You can see the tunnel entrance/exit behind us.  Naturally on our way home a train was now doing its initial approach of the Spiral Tunnels heading Eastbound.  But we had ground to cover and so it will have to be for another time.

Back on the bikes and off to the next tourist attraction: Natural Bridge
For some really cool views of this part (and others) I suggested clicking on the following 360 Cities link and play around with the 360 degree settings in High Definition: LINK HERE for more amazing views - Hint:  Use the "Full Screen" feature.  It's the best way to take it ALL in.  Be sure to check out PEYTO lake also.

Had to share this Picture of Peyto Lake - Which is located 12 KM away as the eagle flies from our current spot - Troy this has got to be on the list for next time I pass threw the rockies to visit.



So this guy was grand enough to stay with us the whole day.  Hello Mr. Sunshine!  Is it already time for lunch?  High Noon - Let's go eat!



No comments:

Post a Comment