Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Meeting my brother


Well I have been cocooning since I've returned to Montreal.  Real life has kept me busy.  But I needed to finish this up and get some closure...I don't really want to though but its LONG over due.  So it's going to be a longer than normal entry but it will be a VERY summarized ending of what was left of my trip - Got 20 or so days to resume here so bare with me.

1st off I'd like to thank the 4 families who opened their homes to me and impressed upon me how great this community of bikers is and how old friends always stay true and never met before relatives are now very dear to me and riding buddies are now best of friends.  So in the order of my trip:

Ken from Orillia Ontario (Hotrodad - from Roadglide.Org), who helped me jump start this ride and who's lovely wife April made me feel like family and put up with a total stranger in her home for the night and put out quite the BBQ spread for us.  You guys made me feel so very at ease and it was comfortable just laying back and sharing stories.  I look forward to riding with you in 2013 and having you both over for a visit with us in Montreal so I can return the hospitality.  P.S.:  Children and Pets welcomed (oh dear..lol).


Craig and Nathalie from West Vancouver, it meant so much to me to have you guys let me crash at your place for 3 days and 4 nights!  I had a lot of emotions going on, and You, your kids and both scarred cats where a great break from the rigor of riding across the continent to set up the meeting with my brother.  You guys will always have a special place in my heart and I missed you guys the moment I rode off back East.  You have a wonderful home, 2 great kids and ''Un Joie de Vivre'' that is contagious.

Troy from Calgary Alberta (aka: Calgaryglide - From Roadglide.org), who made this trip a remarkable event by firstly, finding and paying for  my accommodations in the Canadians Rockies.  It would seem that minus 4 Celsius weather was just too much for him to allow me to entertain camping it!  Then meeting up with me in Banff  to show me the sights of this AMAZING natural beauty of the Canadian Rockies and then following up on his generosity by opening his home with his lovely wife Lori and 2 children Emily and Trevor.  All I can say is thank you so very much for the great heartfelt kinship you shared with me for the days spent there and I got to say I miss that crazy energetic dog of yours too!  I do intend on keeping that deal you made with me, Nat and my kids are aware of the commitment.  My home is your home whenever you guys are in my neck of the woods.

And lastly to my cousin Lynn from Toronto Ontario.  Who I’ve only met once and that was the day I rode through Toronto heading back home.  It was really wonderful to share in family tales and visit with you and Miriam.  It’s nice to see how complete strangers although related can hit it off so effortlessly.  You made me feel very welcomed in your home and it was great to share a meal with you both and letting me spend the night  to rest up for the final leg of my long ride back home.  I look forward to seeing you gals again; but sooner than later this time!

Ok now for a barrage of pictures with what I hope will be some entertaining anecdotes and/or captions.  Love you all.

My final super in the U.S.A. before crossing back into B.C. Canada.   I could have saved one night, but lack of planning and not knowing the terrain I booked a room that I could not un-book.  Still the food was good and I had a good view of my bike!  Across the street there...in the parking lot!
And if anyone is wondering why I post pictures of Food Plates or almost empty food plates...you have TracyB from RoadGlide.Org to thank...just can't seem to stop doing this now ever since I added her as a Facebook friend so be warned in advance if ever you decide to befriend her! lol
In this shot, I must have moved my bike like 3 times to give it what I thought might be the safest spot to  view from my room.  I got to say a few shady looking people around and I was stressed to be SO close to my goal and I had a itchy feeling that this place might not be all that safe.  I slept very lightly that night.  Well actually the college boys in the room next to me kept having young girls popping in and out of their room all night.  Can't say any of them got lucky though...I think they let the Drink overpower the desire to satisfy  another desire.  Their lost but my gain, I actually managed some sleep once they passed out!

I'm like 20 minutes away from the border.  I got an early jump on the day.  Maybe had 3 cars or so ahead of me.  Still can't believe how friendly it is crossing back into Canada compared too my prior experiences with Ken coming into the USA.  Anyway, after a short 30 seconds with the Boarder Guard I'm near my goal!

My host family in West Vancouver.  From Left to Right:  Me, Nathalie, Jeremy, Laurie and Craig (2 scarred cats not pictured).



Random pics of the days I spent in Vancouver:

The Reason for the whole trip - My older brother Richard:  We shared a soda and had a nice talk.  Although it was a quick 40 minute visit I thought it was a good foundation for building future talks.  I took this pic before heading back to my host family.  It was a brief visit you might think - but we packed a lot into it and have been exchanging more than ever before.  It really was nice catching up with him and I might just see him again in 2013 in Peru to meet up with another brother of ours who lives their if fate will allow it.
A funny story I might share here - When I arrived at my brothers, even though I had tried to plan it as a surprise, my Nephew let it be known to his mother that someone was coming to visit.  You see, he wanted her to clean up.  And when he kept telling her to clean up and she wasn't, he finally broke down and told her why he kept nagging her (role reversal here).  Then woman being honest and all (polite way of saying that she can't keep a secret) told her husband.  Oh well!  So much for the surprise.  The one surprise left however is no one knew which of his 3 brothers would be passing by.  So any-hoot, I get there and no one is home.  I reach my nephew on his cell and he gives me the combination to the door lock; not key operated.  He says not to worry about the 2 dogs (one being a mix breed of German Sheppard and Pitbull).  Reluctantly I go in and after moments of seeing the greeting I got from the Beast who looked none to happy to see me and relieved himself right there on the floor in front of me I figured it would be best best to wait outside.  Guess the dogs aren't used to seeing fully equipped biker dudes coming and going from the home.  

Hey, looks like I ran out of time..I just can't get through this fast enough.  I will update again tomorrow or tonight.  But just to give you all a little taste of what was to come in the following days.

Visiting Whistler BC with my Nephew:
















No comments:

Post a Comment